Why wouldn’t you want to see the seabed as well as sightseeing the island’s landscape?
If you are used to diving, or you have perfected your diving skills in one of the island’s diving schools, we are pleased to offer you organized diving trips to the wrecked Greek ship Peltastis, close to Šilo, which made its last voyage in the 1860s.
Apart from the Peltastis wreck close to Šilo, the seafloor of the island of Plavnik also conserves another wrecked sailing boat which most likely dates back to the period of Napoleonic rule.
So, take a dive under the sea, amongst its secrets and encounter a completely different world…
Today, diving is one of the most famous sea sports in Croatia. Many divers in the Adriatic are highly attracted by numerous captivating locations as the sea here is full of ancient boats, corals and other animal and plant species.
The northern part of the Adriatic is visited a lot because of the shallower sea and richer vegetation.
During your stay on the island of Krk, you can, even as a beginner, learn the basics of correct diving, and the more experienced among you can visit attractive diving locations where they can see a number of old ship wrecks from days gone by, gardens of gorqonia, caves, steep rocks…
Diving locations (places of immersion)
- Mali Plavnik – a small island reef with a number of caves from which rocky curtains and steep cliffs drop and profoundly disappear. This is a true cochleas, octopus and red fish playground. It is also the home of the 1.5 metres long frog fish which can often be seen there.
- Selzine – a spectacular cliff which plunges down for 110 metres. It lies at the entrance to the channel, and here you can encounter large shoals of fish which attract tuna and saury.
- Lorelei – a rocky hump on the island of Cres with an underwater mine which has been there since the First World War. This area too is famous for the wealth of fish it hosts.
- Bug Cave & Deep Cave – a huge cathedral with unusual vegetation that is around 35 metres in length and 10 metres in height
- Indian rock - one of the most beautiful rocks on the island of Plavnik. There are numerous caves just waiting to be discovered.
- Plavnik Caves - steep cliffs with numerous rocky curtains and small caves.
- Kormati – underwater landscape which can be visited: steep cliffs, caves, underwater grass…Here everything is possible!
- Cannons from the Plavnik - cannons from the 18th century.
- Mafia wreck - famous cliff with wrecked powerboat
- Peltastis – Greek merchant boat, stranded around 30 years ago during a storm. It is around 60 metres long and it is situated at a depth of between 6 and 32 metres. You can often encounter huge sea eels there.
- Blue Malin Cave - beautiful underwater cave.
- Ratko’s cliff – an almost vertical cliff with a rock formation similar to stalagmites.
- Tunnels on the island of Prvić and Kamin on the island of Cres – two long tunnels through which you can dive. A wealth of fish and beautiful vegetation.
- Plavnik Plateau - with a wealth of fish during the summer. Ideal for photographers.
- Rocky garden – a rarity in Croatia. One of the few places you can see large Date mussels.
- Plić Tenki –the same name again, as TENKO in the island's dialect means SLIM or in this case SHALLOW, meaning that there is shallow water here whose top begins three metres below the sea surface. In recent years, Plić Tenki has becomea favourite diving location particularly as it offers diversity with every move of your flippers and a variety of flora and fauna from the top to its deepest point around 40 metres below. If you drive a boat through the Vinodol channel, along the north-eastern coast of the island of Krk towards the famous historical and tourist village of Vrbnik, you find yourself in front of cape Glavina and the Kamanjak cliff in the Srščica bay, you will notice winding rocky "Gromače" (huge walls). Precisely in front of these walls, at a hundred metres from the end, is, in the centre of a particularly wide bay, the plić Tenki.
This location is precisely due to its variety and richness, s real heaven for undersea photographers and video cameramen. It is often mentioned by a large number of foreign divers, as the most interesting location of this aquatorium, with proof of this being seen by a monumental board installed by Italian divers.
The island of Krk offers diving tours to 8 nearby islands, with 40 different diving locations which even for the most demanding divers promise unforgettable moments:
- untouched undersea world
- steep cliffs which disappear in the deepness of the blue which are incredibly overgrown with red gorgonia encounter lobsters, red fish, rays, frogfish and catfish
- impressive caves and grottos to visit ship wrecks from the past
The island of Krk is full of natural beauties both above and below the sea. It is revealed by steep cliffs, almost completely without vegetation on the northern and north-eastern parts to the milder gentle green areas and bays on the southern and south-eastern parts of the island.
Even if the barrenness and inaccessibility of the north shore with its high and steep cliffs in itself provokes awe, the underwater are highly accessible diving locations available to all divering categories.